The CABA All About Ales competition is back!
All About Ales is a fall competition focusing on the category of beer which is arguably the most common and most celebrated by homebrewers. All About Ales provides a great chance to get some feedback from expert BJCP judges on your homebrew in a fun and competitive atmosphere.
Notice regarding primary drop-off location (2014-10-23): Black Oak will be closed for Cask Days on Saturday, October 25, and won’t be able to accept entries on that day (only). Please consider another day/time, the alternate drop-off location, or contact the Competition Director for alternate arrangements.
Clarification on Bottle/Cap packaging suggestions (2014-10-23): Coloured caps will be accepted – please make sure you black out any designs on your caps. Alternate bottle sizes and glass colours will be accepted as well. (The standard bottles make it easier for sorting entries, but all homebrew deserves a chance in the competition!)
Competition update (2014-10-08): Registration is Open!!
- 5 Paddles will be supplying the prize for overall Best of Show: An opportunity for a 6th Paddle pro-am brew!
- Thanks to Toronto Brewing for providing prize packs!
- Thanks to White Labs for providing prize packs!
- Thanks to Black Oak for being our main drop-off point, and judging location! And Happy 15th Birthday!!
Review the detailed rules, fill in the entry form and print it out. Entries can be delivered or dropped off at Black Oak between October 10 and October 31. Be sure to check out their special fall offerings when you’re dropping off your beer (mmmm… Oaktoberfest….) Here is the previously published preliminary information (see the links above) :
- All About Ales registration will open in
- The competition will close in October, around Thanksgiving
- Entries will be judged in late October or early November
- The Awards ceremony will be part of the CABA Annual General Meeting in November
- The competition will be open to Ale styles only
- BJCP 2008 categories 6-19 including hybrids and Baltic porters
- BJCP 2008 categories 20 – 23 with an ale style for the base beer
- At least one special sub-category for Black IPA
The BJCP 2014 style guidelines are not scheduled to be approved until the end of the year. This competition will use the BJCP 2008 guidelines with at least one additional special style (Black IPA). All details will be published when registration opens. Watch this space for more information, and follow the competition director @craftybrewer Start brewing, and be sure to set aside a couple of bottles from each of your batches!